Ultimate Guide: How To Monitor and Reduce Data Usage on iPhones
An average person's monthly mobile data usage is estimated to be about 300 gigabytes. It's no surprise that most people are deciding to cut back on their mobile data usage........................
An average person's monthly mobile data usage is estimated to be about 300 gigabytes. It's no surprise that most people are deciding to cut back on their mobile data usage.
It's always a great idea to monitor your data usage. If you're like me, you might go over the monthly limit every month and end up paying more than you should.
I wanted to find out why my iPhone is using so much data. I found out that my apps were the culprits! They were all streaming videos without me even realizing it! Now I know how to monitor my data usage and reduce it on my iPhone. Here are some tips on how to monitor your data usage and reduce it on your iPhone.
The Importance of Monitoring Your Data
An essential part about data usage is knowing exactly how much data you're using and what changes to make to reduce it.
I went over my data limit and couldn't even get a mobile signal for my iPhone for a period. I was only using between 5GB and 10GB per month. I saw how much my plan was for my first iPhone and was pretty surprised. In fact, I went over that limit by over 60 per cent in less than a year! I was making a few simple errors when it came to my data usage.
Once you know exactly how much you're using, you can start to make changes. Below are some iOS apps which are among the best that can aid you monitor and check your data usage:
Ways to Monitor Your Data Usage on an iPhone
There are several ways to keep tabs on your data usage. Let's take a look at how to check your data usage:
1. On the iPhone and iPad:
Go to Settings > Cellular Data and then select Cellular Data Usage.
2. Web browsers on iPhone
- On the Safari browser: Go to Safari Preferences > Performance and then Privacy.
- On Google Chrome: Go to Data Saver settings > Advanced, then Data Saver.
- On Firefox: Go to Tools > Settings, Data Saver, and then select Optimal data usage.
Ways to Reduce Your Data Usage on an iPhone
Some of the ways you can moderate your data usage are as follows:
1. You can turn off cellular data by disabling data for specific apps and restricting the use of background data in your iPhone's settings. You can also turn on mobile data to restrict apps and services that use mobile networks to connect to the Internet. If you are working on a Wi-Fi connection and lose the app, use your mobile data instead.
2. Activate Set Data Warning to receive a notification when you reach the specified gigabyte number for the current month. The number can be set to 2-4 GB if your plan has limited data.
3. If you don't want certain apps to use mobile data, you can turn off mobile data for those apps. For example, you could prevent the App Store from downloading content updates via mobile data to your iPhone and force it to wait until you are connected to a Wi-Fi network. You may also want to turn off similar apps with Wi-Fi Assist enabled.
4. Mobile data bills vary from carrier to carrier and from handset to handset. I found this chart from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) website that gives you some ballpark figures. If you have the cheapest plan, you're likely to cut costs on your data expenses and your data usage. To reduce your monthly mobile data usage, you might want to look for a cheaper plan from a different carrier. Also, you can simply compare the monthly data plans for the various carriers in your country, and you choose the best.
There is always a way to save money. Mobile data management is the first step to your becoming an efficient and money-saving user.